At this meeting, the assessor will ask you some questions about yourself, your education, your work experience, and most importantly, what your learning goals are. Some learners’ goals are to:
- Read and understand the newspaper
- Complete their Grade 12 education
- Be able to help children with their homework
- Learn to count money and make change
- Become comfortable filling out forms and applications
You will also be asked to complete several tasks which will help us determine your current skill level in reading, writing and math, as well as other Essential Skills.
Based on your interview and your test results, the assessor will write a training plan for you that outlines the steps you need to take in order to reach your goals. You’ll meet with the assessor one last time to go over your plan and discuss your training options. In most cases, your learning options will be:
- One-on-One Training Program or a small group classroom with Tri-County Literacy Council; or
- Other local Literacy Basic Skills training programs
It’s that easy to get started! We look forward to hearing from you.