Tri-County (Stormont, Dundas & Glengarry) Literacy Council is a community-based, non-profit organization. Our mandate is to enrich both our community and individuals by addressing literacy needs.
To do this, we assess learners, help them set goals and provide necessary help in foundational and Essential Skills like reading, writing, math, and computer skills.
We recruit adult volunteers from the community to assist learners in meeting their employment, personal or social goals. This method of instruction can be one-on-one with a tutor or in a small group classroom.
Our services are easily accessible and designed for ongoing growth and expansion.
- To promote public awareness of literacy within our community
- To provide a friendly atmosphere where learners can improve their literacy skills
- To recruit volunteers from the community to assist learners in meeting their personal, employment and social goals
- To provide professional training and support to volunteer tutors
- To raise the funds necessary to achieve our mandate